The City of Boston is striving towards carbon neutrality while preparing for climate change and preserving our natural resources and historic sites.
Learn more about Boston climate action from the City of Boston’s Department of Energy, Environment, and Open Space.
City of Boston Climate Action Plan & Guide
Boston’s 2019 Climate Action Plan update will set us on the path toward carbon neutrality.
Want to take action now? Check out the new Climate Action Guide with tips for home, work, and school.
Concerned about extreme temperatures and emergency preparedness? Visit https://www.boston.gov/heat
- Boston Student Advisory Council and BPS Sustainability authored a set of BPS sustainability and green building recommendations, which were incorporated into the BuildBPS Phase II plan.
- BSAC and students from across BPS provided critical young people input to the City of Boston’s 2019 Climate Action Plan Update. Former BSAC VP and BLA alum Ahria Ilyas spoke during Mayor Walsh’s December 11, 2019 signing of an Executive Order requiring all new municipal buildings to target a Zero Net Carbon standard.
- In partnership with National Grid and Steam Trap Systems, BPS Facilities Management completed new steam trap installations in 71 schools in 2018. A total of 6,900 steam traps were replaced at no cost to BPS, with an anticipated energy savings of 30% (guesstimated that 30% of steam traps may have been faulty). This equates to an unadjusted annual gas savings of almost $200,000.
- BPS and City of Boston completed 5 school window replacement projects in 2018, with each project expecting a reduction in 5-10% of energy use.
- Since 2017, the BPS cogen fleet has generated $509,816 for BPS through utility rebates, AEC’s, and Demand Response participation.
- BPS Sustainability and Environmental Resources Managers Katherine Walsh was featured as a state Millennial leader in Environment Massachusetts’ Millennials for 100% Renewable Energy Campaign, alongside Boston City Councilors Michelle Wu and Matt O’Malley.
SAVE ENERGY & WATER AT SCHOOL
1216 Dorchester Ave.
Boston, MA 02125