The Boston Schoolyard Leadership Committee (SLC) is a group of community and city partners advocating to continue the work of the Boston Schoolyard Initiative – especially the design, construction, maintenance of the schoolyard assets and professional development for teachers. The Committee also supports new goals and programs that expand the use of the schoolyards, learning gardens, and outdoor classrooms. This Committee aims to ensure that Boston’s schoolyards continue to provide urban youth with safe, inviting green spaces to learn and play.
- Advocate for resources to preserve and expand schoolyard infrastructure (playgrounds, outdoor classrooms, learning gardens) at BPS schools.
- Advocate for resources to preserve and expand teacher professional development in science, literacy, and physical activity using outdoor spaces.
- Participate in the planning and design process for new schoolyard projects.
- Help facilitate schools to connect with community partners and needed resources.
- Keep current and develop new BSI resources for schools, community partners and more.
The committee is comprised of over a two dozen representatives comprised of city agencies, community stakeholders and nonprofit partners from Boston and Greater Boston. If you are interested in getting involved in the Committee, please contact BPS Sustainability Manager, Phoebe Beierle, email@example.com
- Boston Public Schools (Facilities, Health & Wellness, Innovation & Partnerships, Science Department, Literacy Department)
- City of Boston
- Former BSI staff and funders
- Boston Nature Center
- Boston Cares
- City Year
- Boston Youth Environmental Network (BYEN)
- Boston Natural Areas Network (BNAN)
Learn more about the Boston Schoolyard Initiative and outdoor education in Boston Public Schools.