Efforts to conserve electricity and water in all schools is essential to managing the escalating costs of utilities and creating a healthy school environment. The Boston Public Schools Energy Division has steadily decreased utility consumption in our schools through increased monitoring, equipment upgrades and repairs, and the sharing of energy and water conservation tips with school staff.
Your partnership is vital to the success of these efforts.
Start by posting the “8 Simple Tips” BPS Energy & Water Conservation poster throughout your school! Email Katherine Walsh for hard copies.
Please note the following measures should be implemented in every building, measures which will have a significant effect on reducing our utility consumption and costs, and improve a healthy school environment:
- Turn off lights when leaving a classroom, office, gym, assembly hall, etc.
- When possible, turn off classroom/office lights to maximize the use of natural light.
- Turn off computers and printers when not in use.
- Keep fire doors and all exterior doors closed at all times. When possible, keep classroom and gym doors closed.
- Keep windows closed during the heating season, especially at night and during weekends.
- During night school activities and building cleaning operations, light only those areas in use.
- Report any water leaks to the Facilities Management plumbing supervisor.
- Do not block/store items on any unit ventilators or heating elements, especially in classrooms and offices.
- Only 3-prong extension cords shall be used, for safety reasons. These cords shall not be extended through doorways or in egress paths to prevent tripping hazards.
- Any cooking of food must be supervised at all times to prevent fire hazards.
- Building thermostats will be kept at 68 degrees during school hours.
- Domestic hot water temperatures will be kept at 110 degrees.
IMPORTANT: Personal appliances (microwaves, heaters, coffee makers, refrigerators, etc.) are not permitted in the classrooms for reasons of fire safety and pest management, unless approved as an accommodation under district policy. Please use personal appliances in shared staff spaces only. For information about the reasonable accommodation process, please contact the Office of Equity at email@example.com or 617-635-9650.
Thank you for your cooperation as we work together to save resources throughout the Boston Public Schools.
Download the BPS Energy and Personal Appliances Memo